The Master's programme in Peace and Conflict Studies at the Otto-von-Guericke-University (OvGU) Magdeburg is part of the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the German Foreign Office. Here you can find all necessary information on the application for the winter semester 2022/2023.
The Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance) was designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis- oriented course for their professional life. The programme offers excellent graduates with a first university degree the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. With the knowledge and experience acquired in Germany the scholarship holders should later contribute to the establishment of democratically oriented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social differences. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
|Who can apply?||Graduates from developing countries in the field of social sciences, political sciences, law, economics and in public administration (list of countries). To be eligible, applicants also have to currently live in one of the countries on that list.|
|Target Group||Very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries or regions. It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.|
|What is fundable?||
- Academic degree with far above average results (More information on the admission requirements can be found here)
- Language skills
- English C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (More information here)
- Other language skills are an advantage
- Political & social engagement
- International experience (work or study related) of at least 3 months
- Convincing description of the subject-related & personal motivation
- Expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
- Explanation of the choice of programme and place of study
- Intended focus of study
- Relevant previous knowledge within your studies
- Intended career paths after completion of your studies
The most recent university degree should have been obtained in the six years preceding the application. Applicants who have been in Germany for more than 15 months at the application deadline will not be considered!
Application 1st of June 2021 - 15th of July 2021!
Here you can find a list of documents you need for your application. To facilitate the application process, it is sufficient to send simple copies of all documents by e-maill. All documents that are not in English must be submitted in certified translations (English). If approval is granted, the indicated documents must be submitted subsequently as officially certified copies.
!!! Please send us your applications in one PDF document only. There are free websites on the Internet where you can merge different file formats into one PDF document !!!
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholarships (hand-signed, but electronically edited);
- Application Form for Admission to Studies (find the information sheet here);
- Letter of motivation (one single letter for both study courses you want to apply for), containing a precise description of your academic/professional and personal reasons for choosing those master´s programmes and universities (two pages maximum, hand-signed, dated);
- CV in English including information about the precise field of your studies, your political and social engagement and, if applicable, description of job experience (hand-signed, dated);
- Simple copy of passport (pages with personal detail & photograph) and residence permit (where applicable);
- Simple copies of the certificate for the higher education entrance examination completed in your home country, if taken (later officially certified copies);
- Simple copies of degree certificates of all University degrees (Bachelor, Master) (please attach an explanation of the grading system / later officially certified copies);
- Simple copies of transcripts of records (later officially certified copies);
- Simple copy of recent English language certificate (Level C1) (later officially certified copy);
- Proof of International experience (work or study experience) of at least 3 months;
- Letter of recommendation by your university professor or current employer (signed, recently dated & supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp);
- Certificate of employment to support relevant professional experience mentioned in your CV (if applicable);
- Proof of social or political engagement.
Please send your complete application (merged in one PDF document!) to:
This email address should only be used for the application for the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme at the OvGU. For questions please contact . More information about the application to the OvGU can be found here. You can also try to find answers to your questions by looking into the FAQ document of the DAAD.
***Application period for the Winter Term 2022/23: From the 01st of June until the 15th of July 2021!***
In October/November 2021 a selection committee consisting of university professors and DAAD representatives meets and suggests potential candidates for a DAAD scholarship. Afterwards, the suggested candidates are contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal. All applicants will be informed at the end of the selection process – approx. by the end of December 2021. We kindly ask you to refrain from requests for further information, as we will be in contact with you as soon as we have selected the candidates.
Important: Make sure that you have a copy of each document of your application ready, as those documents (as PDF files) have to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal in case you are suggested for a DAAD scholarship!