Applicants with a Foreign Degree

Applicants with a foreign degree have to submit their applications via uni-assist between mid-April and the 15th of July of the respective year of admission. 

Important: The PACS Master's degree always starts in the winter term. For this reason, you can only find PACS in the uni-assist system when the application phase for the winter term starts!

On this page you will find information about the admission requirements, the application process and a checklist for your application. If you still have questions, please have a look at the PACS FAQ page or contact us at  

Maybe you can apply for the Helmut-Schmidt-Program? Check here to see if you are eligible for the scholarship. 


Admission Requirements

Previous Studies

  • Bachelor's degree, university degree, or equivalent degree from a state or nationally accredited institution, a master's degree, or a state examination in social or cultural sciences.
  • Average grade of "good" GPA (German system: 2.5 or better) with a total of at least 180 ECTS.
  • The responsible examination board decides on the admission and possible further requirements for studying in Magdeburg.

Applicants from outside the Social Sciences

  • At least 30 ECTS of the degree must come from social science classes (seminars / lectures in sociology, anthropology, ethnology, political science and social science methods)
  • The areas of the degree from the social sciences must be completed with at least a "good" GPA.
  • If you are unsure if you have 30 ECTs in social sciences, send a current outline of your courses to the PACS Study Programme Advisor

Language Certificates

  • Candidates must demonstrate a level of English equivalent to C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The certificate has to be available at the time of application.
  • We accept the following language certificates: 
      • UNIcert III
      • IELTS (7.0, 7.5, 8.0)
      • Cambridge (CAE of 180 or more)
      • TOEFL iBT (95-120), CBT (263-300), PBT (627-677), ITP Level 1 (627-677)
      • TOEIC Listening and Reading Test (945-990), TOEIC Speaking Test (180-200), TOEIC Writing Test (180-200)
      • telc C1 certificates
      • Pearson PTE Academic
      • Due to the current situation, we are again accepting the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the IELTS Indicator certificate
  • If you have obtained a university degree in an English-speaking programme in Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, the USA, Ireland or Canada we may be able to accept that as proof of English proficiency.

International Experience

  • Applicants must demonstrate at least three months of relevant work or study experience abroad.

Letter of Motivation

  • Applicants have to submit a letter of motivation in English (600-750 words), with the following information:
    • Explanation of the choice of programme and place of study
    • Intended focus of study
    • Presentation of previous experiences relevant to PACS (studies and if necessary beyond this)
    • Intended career paths after completion of your studies



Application Procedure 

Step 1: Assemble your documents

  • Look closely at the uni-assist website to see what documents you need!
  • Obtain certified copies of your documents and certificates
  • If necessary, organize official translations of your documents into English or German
  • Make copies of your documents!

Step 2: Submit your application online

  • Register with the online portal my uni-assist
  • Upload your documents to my uni-assist.
  • Submit all online applications electronically

Step 3: Pay the processing fees

  • Uni-assist is unable to process your application before you have paid the handling fee.

Step 4: Finish all of this before July 15th 



Checklist for the Application

  • Letter of motivation (3 pages in English)
  • Curriculum vitae (in English)
  • Educational certificates (Bachelor’s certificate or proof of similar degree) 
  • Transcript of courses, respective ECTS and grades (at least 180 ECTS needed for the overall degree)
    • Proof of at least 30 ECTS within the field of Social Science
  • Proof of English language proficiency on C1-level
  • Proof of relevant academic or professional experience in a foreign country of 3 months or more
  • uni-assist might ask for additional documents. Please always double check to see what you need for the application (more info here)


Last Modification: 08.05.2024 - Contact Person: Webmaster