Candidates must hold an academic degree (Diplom, Magister, Master or equivalent degrees, 1st Staatsexamen included) from a German or recognised foreign university graded as »good« or better. Decisions on exceptions are due to the council of the Faculty of Humanities, Social Science & Education.
All applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements of the Faculty of Humanities, Social Science & Education [in German only].
- English language proficiency at the level of C1
- Willingness and ability to attend regular meetings in Magdeburg
HOW TO APPLY
If you would like to join us as a research student send your application including all required documents by E-mail to:
WHAT TO SUBMIT
The application should be in English, except for the outline research proposal which could be in either German or English.
The documents submitted should consist of the following:
- Short personal letter (1‒2 pages/max. 1,500 words), on your research interests, professional aims, motivation to obtain a PhD, planned funding/financing strategy, and other relevant personal information
- Certified transcripts of academic records
- Certificate of language proficiency
- Outline research proposal (3‒5 pages/max. 3000 words, references excluded), including working title / research question(s), (hypo)thesis / key objectives, relevance of the project / state of art / research design, theoretical and methodological background / previous works / time and work schedule
- Letters of reference/recommendation (max 2 letters) or a list of references (max 2) who can be contacted by the admission committee
An interview is an integral part of the application process. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed in person or via Zoom/Skype.