Applicants with a Foreign Degree
Applicants with a foreign degree have to submit their applications via uni-assist between mid-April and the 15th of July of the respective year of admission.
Important: The PACS Master's degree always starts in the winter term. For this reason, you can only find PACS in the uni-assist system when the application phase for the winter term starts!
On this page you will find information about the admission requirements, the application process and a checklist for your application. If you still have questions, please have a look at the PACS FAQ page or contact us at
Maybe you can apply for the Helmut-Schmidt-Program? Check here to see if you are eligible for the scholarship.
- Bachelor's degree, university degree, or equivalent degree from a state or nationally accredited institution, a master's degree, or a state examination in social or cultural sciences.
- Average grade of "good" GPA (German system: 2.5 or better) with a total of at least 180 ECTS.
- The responsible examination board decides on the admission and possible further requirements for studying in Magdeburg.
Applicants from outside the Social Sciences
- At least 30 ECTS of the degree must come from social science classes (seminars / lectures in sociology, anthropology, ethnology, political science and social science methods)
- The areas of the degree from the social sciences must be completed with at least a "good" GPA.
- If you are unsure if you have 30 ECTs in social sciences, send a current outline of your courses to the PACS Study Programme Advisor
- Candidates must demonstrate a level of English equivalent to C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The certificate has to be available at the time of application.
- We accept the following language certificates:
- UNIcert III
- IELTS (7.0, 7.5, 8.0)
- Cambridge (CAE of 180 or more)
- TOEFL iBT (95-120), CBT (263-300), PBT (627-677), ITP Level 1 (627-677)
- TOEIC Listening and Reading Test (945-990), TOEIC Speaking Test (180-200), TOEIC Writing Test (180-200)
- telc C1 certificates
- Pearson PTE Academic
- Due to the current situation, we are again accepting the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the IELTS Indicator certificate
- If you have obtained a university degree in an English-speaking programme in Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, the USA, Ireland or Canada we may be able to accept that as proof of English proficiency.
- Applicants must demonstrate at least three months of relevant work or study experience abroad.
Letter of Motivation
- Applicants have to submit a letter of motivation in English (600-750 words), with the following information:
- Explanation of the choice of programme and place of study
- Intended focus of study
- Presentation of previous experiences relevant to PACS (studies and if necessary beyond this)
- Intended career paths after completion of your studies
Step 1: Assemble your documents
- Look closely at the uni-assist website to see what documents you need!
- Obtain certified copies of your documents and certificates
- If necessary, organize official translations of your documents into English or German
- Make copies of your documents!
Step 2: Submit your application online
- Register with the online portal my uni-assist
- Upload your documents to my uni-assist.
- Submit all online applications electronically
Step 3: Pay the processing fees
- Uni-assist is unable to process your application before you have paid the handling fee.
Step 4: Send all certified documents as hard copies
- Information can be found here
- uni-assist e.V. - 11507 Berlin - GERMANY
Step 5: Finish all of this before July 15th
- Letter of motivation (3 pages in English)
- Curriculum vitae (in English)
- Educational certificates (Bachelor’s certificate or proof of similar degree)
- Transcript of courses, respective ECTS and grades (at least 180 ECTS needed for the overall degree)
- Proof of at least 30 ECTS within the field of Social Science
- Proof of English language proficiency on C1-level
- Proof of relevant academic or professional experience in a foreign country of 3 months or more
- uni-assist might ask for additional documents. Please always double check to see what you need for the application (more info here)