Applicants with National Degree
Applicants with a German degree have to submit their applications via uni online between mid-May and the 15th of July of the respective year of admission.
On this page you will find information about the admission requirements, the application process and a checklist for your application. If you still have questions, please have a look at the PACS FAQ page or contact us at
Did you graduate outside of Germany? Please find more information about the application process here.
- Bachelor's degree, university degree, or equivalent degree from a state or nationally accredited institution, a Master's degree, or a state examination in social or cultural sciences.
- Average grade of "good" - 2.5 or better with a total of at least 180 ECTS. If the first degree is not yet completed, at least 150 CP must have been achieved at the time of application.
For applicants from outside the social sciences:
- At least 30 ECTS of the degree must come from social science classes (seminars / lectures in sociology, anthropology, ethnology, political science and social science methods)
- The areas of the degree from the social sciences must be completed with at least a "good" grade.
- If you are unsure if you have 30 ECTS in social sciences, send a current outline of your courses to the PACS Study Program Advisor
- The responsible examination board decides on the admission and possible further requirements for studying PACS.
- Candidates must demonstrate a level of English equivalent to C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The certificate has to be available at the time of application.
- We accept the following language certificates:
- UNIcert III
- IELTS (7.0, 7.5, 8.0)
- Cambridge (CAE of 180 or more)
- TOEFL iBT (108-120), CBT (263-300), PBT (627-677), ITP Level 1 (627-677)
- TOEIC Listening and Reading Test (945-990), TOEIC Speaking Test (180-200), TOEIC Writing Test (180-200)
- telc C1 certificates
- Due to the current situation, we are again accepting the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the IELTS Indicator certificate
- If, in addition to your German degree, you have a obtained a university degree in an English-speaking program in Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, the USA, Ireland or Canada we may be able to accept that as proof of English proficiency. Please contact us if you are unsure.
- Applicants must demonstrate at least three months of relevant work or study experience abroad
Letter of Motivation
- Applicants have to submit a letter of motivation in English (3 pages), with the following information:
- Explanation of the choice of programme and place of study
- Intended focus of study
- Relevant previous knowledge within your studies
- Intended career paths after completion of your studies
Please check the website of the Campus Service Center to get detailed and current information on the application procedure. The following steps give you a brief overview of the application process:
- Register in the application portal myOVGU (information on the registration can be found here)
- Conduct the online application
- Add a new application by clicking "Bewerberantrag hinzufügen" on the main page
- Click on "Antrag abgeben" at the end to enter your application into the system
- Send the signed document "Antrag auf Zulassung" and all required documents by postal mail to the university (the documents must be received by the 15th of July)
- Letter of motivation (3 pages in English)
- Curriculum vitae (in English)
- Educational certificate (Bachelor’s certificate or proof of similar degree)
- Transcript of courses, respective ECTS and grades (at least 150 ECTS at the time of application; 180 ECTS needed for the overall degree)
- Proof of at least 30 ECTS within the field of Social Science
- Proof of English language proficiency on C1-level
- Proof of relevant academic or professional experience in a foreign country of 3 months or more
- Please refer to this page to see what other documents are necessary for the application